Derby day disappointment as Hefele sinks Leeds late on


A late goal from Michael Hefele meant Huddersfield Town did the double over Leeds in the league this season.

The visitors were second best for most of the game and Huddersfield lead through Izzy Brown but his effort was soon cancelled out by Chris Wood’s tap in.

The major blow came with one minute of normal time remaining as Hefele latched onto Mooy’s shot and placed the ball past Rob Green.

Garry Monk made three changes to the side that beat Blackburn in midweek. Pablo Hernandez, Ronaldo Vieira and Soulaymane Doukara replaced Kemar Roofe, Eunan O’Kane and Hadi Sacko.

Wood had the first chance of the game as he was played in by Hernandez but the New Zealand internationals shot was saved by Danny Ward.

Huddersfield had their first chance of the game on the 20th minute as Elias Kachunga played in Collin Quaner but Rob Green got down low to his left to save the strikers effort.

The home side thought they had taken the lead when Pontus Jansson’s clearance came of Quaner but the Swede was thankful it went over Green’s goal.

Town took the lead just minutes later, substitute Brown who had been on the pitch a matter of minutes.

The Chelsea loanee met Tommy Smith’s low cross, beating a flat-footed Leeds defence to fire Huddersfield into the lead.

Leeds were level on the 34th minute. Wood pounced on Kyle Bartley’s knock down and rounded Danny Ward to tap in his 21st goal of the season.

Green was to the rescue yet again two minutes later as he came out and threw his body at Quaner’s effort.

Leeds had the first chance of the second half. Hernandez played in Dallas down the right-hand side after clever play but Tommy Smith prevented Wood from meeting the Northern Irishman’s cross just six yards out.

Aaron Mooy had Town’s first chance of the second period but the Australian’s left footed shot didn’t trouble Green’s goal.

The home side should have been back in front on the 61st minute but Van La Parra failed to meet Kachunga’s low driven cross.

Debutant Alfonso Pedraza almost replicated Brown as he almost scored within seconds of entering the field but Ward easily tipped the Spanish wingers effort around the post.

Mooy nearly snuck Huddersfield into the lead in the 73rd minute when he tried to catch Green out at the near post but the former England goalkeeper got down well to keep the scores level.

Huddersfield wasted another chance on the 80th minute as Kachnuga was unable to convert Schindler’s cross.

The home side eventually found their way through as Mooy’s effort was turned home by Hefele leaving Green with no chance.

The game was overshadowed by an incident involving both sets of players. David Wagner ran through the Leeds technical area sparking a reaction from the players. Both managers were sent off.

The loss means Town overtake Leeds in fourth spot with a game in hand. Leeds move down to fifth but still have a comfortable gap to seventh place.